Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Building the Dewey Drone from "Silent Running" (1972) - Part VI: Arm and Electronics


Previous posts in this series: 


Dewey's Arm

Dewey's original arm is a rather complicated construction. Some photos showing many details can be found on this page. And here is an image that I found somewhere else.


Recreating all these details is beyond the scope of this project. I'm still sticking to 3/16" plywood, and try to come up with something that somehow includes the main features of the original.

Here are the pieces, cut with a laser cutter (plus two wooden rods of 3/8" diameter), partially assembled,


... and painted.


The full arm assembled.


To recreate the scene where they are playing cards,
 

I glued these five cards,


so my Dewey can hold them.





Dewey's Watering Can

At a few occasions in the movie, Dewey is seen to hold a watering can, like here.


Luckily, the image on the watering is available on the web, hand dawn by Karl Tate and posted on Flickr. I started with tomato can, covered with a thin sheet of cardboard. I also used the cardboard to create a narrow cone.






That's my version of Dewey's can.

Dewey in my Yard

And here he is, having fun in the yard.







 

No comments: