Thursday, September 12, 2019

Johnny Cash - bootleg CD cover artwork

In the early 2000's I had started collecting bootleg recordings more seriously. In those days, internet connections were not that fast yet, and most of the trading happened by snail mail. You contacted other traders, exchanged your trade lists by email, and agreed to a number of CDs that you would trade. And a few days later you would get your new bootleg CDs. While my main focus was on Bob Dylan, I also used these trades to explore other artists.

I had started to get into Johnny Cash in 1994 with the first of his "American Recordings" albums, produced by Rick Rubin. After trading some Johnny Cash bootlegs, I found that I wanted some nice artwork for those. I decided to make some rather simple, but still good-looking artwork, somehow adapting the style and typography of his American Recordings album covers.

These CD cover artworks were posted on a free web page, and shared with others. I did not, however, keep track of my original files. Some years later, the hosts shut the web pages down, and I thought that all of these files were lost (at least, I still had printed versions in my CD cases).

Then recently, I made a Google search for some Johnny Cash related terms, and was surprised to find some of my images in the search results. I found out that some nice individual had uploaded high-resolution versions of my cover artworks for a few CDs at http://www.bootlegzone.com. I was happy to save those, and I am sharing them here.

American Outtakes



These are the outtakes for his first "American Recordings" album, recorded in May 1994 in Rick Rubin's living room.

Glastonbury Festival - June 26, 1994



Shortly after the release of "American Recordings", Johnny Cash played at the Glastonbury Festival in England. This introduced him to new, younger audience.

Newport Folk Festival 1964



Deeply impressed by the young Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash covered "Don't think twice it's alright" at the Newport Folk Festival 1964.

Sun & Columbia Outtakes 1954-1969



... the title says it all.

No comments: