Friday, May 29, 2020

Soylent Green can label replica


The promotional material of the 1973 movie, Soylent Green, featured print ads ("Friday is Soylent Green day") that showed Charlton Heston with a "Soylent Green" can.

I found quite a few versions of the can label, in particular on the great Replica Prop Forum - here are links to the different threads: one, two, three, four. All of these are looking great!

But when compared to the actual prop that was sold at an auction, I noticed a few shortcomings. Usually, I'm not too picky, and in my replica prop builds I never aim at 100% (or even 99%) accuracy. But in this cases, I just wanted to see if I would be able to find the best possible typefaces to match the original. 



I have read that the original can was 4 3/4" high by 2 1/2" wide, and some people use a Nestle Nutriment can, which had these sizes. I still had a Rumford Baking Power can that is also 2 1/2" wide, but only 3 3/4" high. 


This is what I will use - and for which I will make the label. 

For the fonts in the upper part, I got help at therpf.com, where a nice person suggested to use:
  • Montreal Serial Heavy (for "NEW!")
  • Monotype Baskerville Bold Italic (for "delicious")
  • Haettenschweiler (for "soylent green")
Monotype Baskerville Bold Italic turned out to be perfect (for "delicious"). The "N" and "W" and "!" from Montreal Serial Heavy are,however, slightly different, so I check a few different fonts. While I could not get a perfect match for the "N" and "W", I found that the "!" from Futura Press is a slightly closer match (the top of the "!" is slightly above the top of the "W" - as in the original prop).  


The Haettenschweiler font is pretty good for "soylent green" when the height is scaled to 83%. There is just one detail that bothered me: the "t". In the original prop, the top of the "t" is tilted. But I was not able to find any font with such a "t" that looks close enough. So I decided to fix this by hand (by overlaying a box over the top).

That was the upper part. The lower part on the blue background is set in a "Times-like" roman typeface. However, there is one detail, that no other replica has captured: the tilt in the "M". Here are the words "Miracle food" for four different fonts (all bold or semi-bold):
In Bitstream Charter and Time New Roman, the outer lines of the "M" are vertical - and different from the original prop. While searching for a better font, I found "Junicode" (which was already installed on my Linux system), but some of its letters looked a little different (e.g. the "a"). After some searching, I found the Semi-Bold version of "New Alster", which is overall closest to the original.

I finished the label in the open-source desktop publishing software scribus. This is the final can. 


And (a year later...) a group picture.



And here I am sharing the png file - for printing at 300 dpi on letter sized paper.






2 comments:

M said...

Dude, you are my brother from another mother. Not only was I looking exactly to see if someone had this, but while looking I was thinking I might have to replicate my own... But here you are!

Markus said...

Thank you! I'm glad you found my page.